Lincoln Park is a public park in San Francisco, California that covers about 100 acres in the northwestern part of the city. It was dedicated to President Abraham Lincoln in 1909, and is the western terminus of the Lincoln Highway, the first road to cross the United States.
The land on which the park stands was originally the city-owned Golden Gate Cemetery, which was established in 1868 and held around 10,000 graves, including a Chinese burial ground and a potter’s field. In 1902, a three-hole golf course was built on part of the land, and by 1914 it had expanded to 14 holes. The park was established in 1909 when the land was turned over to the Parks Commission, and the golf course was expanded to 18 holes in 1917.