Sutro Baths

The ruined foundations of an 1894 saltwater bathing palace that burned in 1966, on the rocks at Lands End.

San Francisco Columbarium

San Francisco Columbarium

Neoclassical 1898 columbarium in the Inner Richmond at 1 Loraine Court. Over 8,500 niches under a stained glass dome. One of the few places in San Francisco still able to inter remains. Free.

Albion Castle

Albion Castle SF

Stone castle built in 1870 for the Albion Brewery at 881 Innes Avenue in Hunters Point. Underground sandstone caves and natural springs. Visits by appointment only.

Presidio Pet Cemetery

San Francisco Pet Cemetery

Half-acre pet cemetery along McDowell Avenue in the Presidio. Hundreds of graves of dogs, cats, and smaller pets; many headstones mimic the format of military grave markers. Free, dawn to dusk.

Aquatic Park Tombstones

Aquatic park tombstones

The seawall at Aquatic Park is built with real tombstones from San Francisco’s relocated 19th-century cemeteries. Names and dates still visible in the concrete if you look closely.

Book Club of California

book club of California

Nonprofit dedicated to fine printing, book arts, and California literary history. Founded 1912. Library, rare books, letterpress exhibitions, and public lectures at 312 Sutter Street, Suite 500.

Fort Miley Batteries

fort Miley batteries

Abandoned Endicott-era coastal defense batteries (built 1899-1902) on the cliffs near Lands End. Concrete bunkers and gun mounts open to walk through. Free, dawn to dusk.

Portals of the Past

portals of the past

Six Corinthian columns from the Towne Mansion (destroyed in the 1906 earthquake) installed at Lloyd Lake in Golden Gate Park in 1909. Best at dawn when the lake is still.

Mission Dolores Cemetery

Mission Dolores San Francisco

San Francisco’s oldest cemetery, dating to 1776, adjacent to Mission Dolores at 3321 16th Street. About 100 graves from early settlers, Ohlone peoples, and Gold Rush pioneers. Featured in Hitchcock’s Vertigo.

Lotta’s Fountain

43544-lottas-fountain

A cast-iron fountain from 1875 that became the city’s central gathering point after the 1906 earthquake. Still the site of an annual predawn ceremony every April 18th at 5:12 AM.