Grace Cathedral

Grace Cathedral, an Episcopal cathedral on the block once held by the Crocker family, was built in stages from 1928 to 1964 in French Gothic style, though its structure is reinforced concrete rather than stone. The east doors are gilded bronze casts of Lorenzo Ghiberti’s Gates of Paradise, the originals of which are on the Baptistery in Florence.

Inside are two labyrinths, one set into the floor and one outdoors, based on the medieval labyrinth at Chartres and meant for walking meditation. The cathedral has hosted civil rights gatherings, including a sermon by Martin Luther King Jr. in 1965, and an AIDS Interfaith Memorial Chapel with a Keith Haring altarpiece, one of the artist’s last works. It is open daily and free to enter.

Part of a self-guided walking tour
Stop 6 of 7 · free route map and audio in the SFGuide app