The Pacific-Union Club (Flood Mansion)

The brownstone at 1000 California Street is the one Nob Hill mansion that survived the 1906 fire. It was built in 1886 for James C. Flood, who made his fortune in the Comstock silver lode. Its stone was shipped from Connecticut, and it was the only Nob Hill mansion built of stone rather than wood, which is why it lived through the fire.

The interior was gutted in 1906 but the walls held. Architect Willis Polk rebuilt it for the Pacific-Union Club, a private club that still owns it. The bronze fence around it is original. The club is not open to the public; view it from the sidewalk.

Part of a self-guided walking tour
Stop 4 of 7 · free route map and audio in the SFGuide app